Yes, I'm back. I have realized something in the last few days......and it's not good!! Apparently mica powders and mist/sprays containing mica powders, are a serious problem for me. Every time I use them, I end up with a real bad sinus headache! So what's a girl to do? Well, I'll get a mask, and wear it every time I use them. Because..........I am not giving up my beloved micas!!!
On to today's project......the OTP for Flying Unicorn!!! I love this part of the Main Kit!! Alda, has a way of finding just the right items, and she blew it out of the water this time!! So what is it? A candle holder!! I know, you're thinking, it's a candle holder, big deal. Nope, absolutely not!! Just think of everything you could use a candle holder for. Obviously as a candle holder, how about as a birdhouse stand, how about as a piece of home decor, embellished with a few found goodies. And that's what I've done!!
So I have to tell you that, it had been pouring rain for three days, when I finally gave in and took the pics. So the colors are a bit off. It is a Halloween decor piece, and to the candle holder, I added a small urn (there is a candle inside), a jar lid (base of the urn), an IKEA doily tray (base), with a Michaels wood doily set on top. Everything is glued down with a combination of Beacon's Fabri-Tac (immediate hold), and E600 (long lasting hold), and you can find many other varieties of glues in the store.
I painted everything with Bob Ross Black Gesso (13 arts black primer is awesome too! but I was out of it).......some of the pieces took several coats. Next I sprayed everything down with Lindy's Stamp Gang's Starburst Sprays in Black Orchid Silver, Midnight Rendezvous Raven and Dark Chocolate Truffle.
Once everything was dry, I added body parts!! A couple of years ago, I purchased some Skeleton banners from my local dollar store, for another project. I really can't remember what they were called, but the skeletons are about 6" to 8" high, and are strung on a long piece of twine. I had a ton of them, as I kept buying them, for all of the ideas I wanted to make with them! Anyways, I set about taking the heads and arms off of the bodies. Tim Holtz Scissors, work great for this.
I found a piece of narrow black lace and another of black velvet trim in my stash, and glued that around the jar lid. Then I painted my arms and heads with the gesso. I chose those pieces as they offered a more pleasing look. The legs and torsos just looked weird. Once dry, they got the same sprays over top. I do realize that I could have glued first, and then sprayed......but, well I wasn't that far along in the project, to know exactly what I was going to do....so they were sprayed seperately. Then it was time to start gluing them down. I chose to overlap the arms, and do two layers. There's not as many as it looks....18 arms that's 9 bodies. Yeah, creepy!!
I glued the heads over the points of the wood doily, that required 11 heads. FYI, one strand of these skeletons, is more than enough for this project, and heck, you still have all of those body parts left over for another project!!!!!
Once everything was glued down and solidly in place, I added Viva Decor Inka Gold in Copper, just to highlight the raised areas. I also glued down a couple of small crows (Michaels)......I am not convinced that I like them there, but it's done, and overall, I am totally pleased with this Halloween piece!!!
So there you go.......from a candle holder, to a gorgeous piece of Halloween Home Decor!!!
Make sure you stop by the Flying Unicorn Forums, to check out all of the gorgeous creations, that the CTs have made!!