I'm showing you the side view first, so that you can see the layers of color more clearly. The first thing I did, was to remove the latch on the side of the box. Then I covered the entire piece with vintage book papers, and added a very light coat of gesso over top......I still wanted to be able see the text underneath. Then the fun....I pulled out some metallic paints from my stash, as well as the Pink Blush from the kit, and added each color on the piece in a very random way. I also layered some of the colors over each, to tone down or emphasize the color underneath. First I added the Pink Blush, then rust, bronze, russet and dark brown. To bring some cohesiveness to the piece, I added a very light layer of gold, over the entire piece.
Tip: Metallic paints, are more transparent than other acrylic paints. This allows them to be layered over each other, while still showing the under colors through. It also adds a luscious and elegant depth to the piece you are working on.
Once this was dry, I did a bit of stenciling with the kit stencil and the dark brown metallic paint. I added some Flying Unicorn Adornment feet on the base.....just to give it a bit more height. And as a replacement for the latch, I glued on the timepiece, but only to the top of the box.
I pulled out some flowers and leaves from past kits, and treated them to a bit of distressing. For the large 49th & Market Blooms, I dipped each one in a mixture of Tim Holtz Distress Reinker, and a bit of water. This toned down the color a bit, and I didn't need to use as much ink. The yellow flower received Fossilized Amber Ink, and the other, which was yellow when I started, was treated to Ground Espresso Ink. I chose this method, because I didn't want the flowers to be just one color. Once dry, I added a bit of the Pink Blush to the stamens, and the inner petals of the yellow flower. I used the same process for the larger leaves, except, I dipped the leaves in Victorian Velvet Ink, and once dry, I added more of the Pink Blush over top.
The vines are from Petaloo, and are also included in the kit. I started by cutting the vines apart, and removing the flowers from each piece. Then, I painted each leaf with the Pink Blush, Russet and Opal Magic Green Gold.....again in an haphazard way. I didn't want to completely cover the leaves. Once dry, I dipped each stem in the Ground Espresso mix and let dry. Once I had positioned the leaves and flowers, I added some of the Micro Glass Beads around the stem with Gel Medium.
I started with one of the Prima papers, and punched the top and bottom edges, then folded over the punching. I then matted it on the BoBunny Double Dot paper. I also added a few torn pieces from the 6 X 6 paper pad. I ran Dimensional Pearls through the stencil, under where I was going to place my pic, as well as in the bottom corner. For the matting of my pic, I layered some of the journaling cards, and more of the 6 x 6 paper. I layered a fussy cut piece, and a sticker over the pic, and then added my flowers and a Flying Unicorn Adornment.
For the bottom corner, I did more fussy cutting and layered it over more journaling card pieces as well as paper from the 6 X 6 pack. To make the chain for the bird cage, I used an artist pen, and then adhered a flower and some crystals. The title was painted with Inka Gold in Copper, and then I added more of the green dimensional pearl here and there over top. I kept this layout pretty simple enough, as I wanted the papers and the pic to really stand out.
Of all of the layouts I've created in the last few months, this one is my very favorite!!! Yes, it's simple, with very little mixed media background work, but I love it.......and everything about it, makes me smile!!!
I started with the background paper (Coral Chevron), which you can barely see behind the white, and I misted the edges with the Dirty Pastel Pink, to have it blend in with the rest of the layout. Next I sprayed the stencil, on another piece of paper, and then flipped it over and rubbed the negative side onto the white paper, here and there. Once dry, I added some stamping with an older Tattered Angels stamp and Leaf Green Ink. Then I added a few splatters of the pink, and a few dots of brown paint. I also matted the pic of my oldest grand-son, on one of the 6 X 6 papers.
Then the fun part (not really!!), I fussy cut most of the leaves out of the Wildflower paper. Then I edged each one with Potting Soil ink, and arranged them under, and around my photo, as well as in the bottom corner.
I tucked in a few flowers. The smaller ones, were misted with Dirty Pink, and the centers painted with the Pink Blush paint. I added some Green Gold paint to the Shabby Treasures Corner pieces, then I went over them lightly with Inka Gold in Copper. I placed them in a way to make them appear as leaves. The chippy was inked with the Potting Soil, and rubbed on the edge with the Copper.
I wanted the butterfly to be a different color, so I mixed some Metallique Light Patina with Green Gold Paint, and went over it, without giving it complete coverage. I then added the Pink Blush to the center and the antennas. Love the little birdcage, and treated it simply, with a few smears of the Copper.
I originally misted the little chippy bird with Dirty Pink but didn't like it. So I tried the Pink Blush paint, and didn't like that either, as it was too much contrast in just one spot. So I covered it with a small piece of the paper, and then edged it with the Potting Soil Ink. The final step was to mount the white paper on the misted cardstock.